THE TRAINING AND EDUCATION COMMITTEE PRESENTED THE FOLLOWING AT THE 2013 CONVENTION. THEY HAVE REQUESTED FEEDBACK FROM THE MEMBERSHIP BEFORE FINALIZING ANY CHANGES.
Following the July 2012 conference, the TEC asked to develop a policy for the awarding of grants to support training opportunities for MFCA members. The committee was asked to identify events which are of primary interest on a regional, provincial, or local basis, and to recommend grant criteria for each level, subject to availability of funds.
Policy - Grants to Training Organizations
- MFCA may make financial contributions to events whose purpose is the education of fire fighters and officers and which are open to members of MFCA.
- Events may be annual or special events. Host committees for the MFCA annual conference are not eligible for these grants.
- Applications for financial support shall be accepted until January 15th of each year, for support to be provided within that calendar year.
- The funds available for this purpose shall be identified in the MFCA annual budget as approved at the previous year's annual conference.
- Events shall be evaluated on the following criteria to determine eligibility:
- The catchment area of the target audience for the event
- The anticipated number of attendees
- The nature and scope of the program being offered
- Past history of the event (when available)
- The event must publicly recognize the contribution of MFCA as a contributor or sponsor of the event.
- Events shall be classified as:
- Local - events where the target catchment area is identified as a specific region or portion of a province. (Examples are county associations, mutual aid groups which may span several counties, or a portion of a province)
- Provincial – events sponsored by or targeted toward the area covered by a provincial association.
- Regional – events which are open to fire fighters from all of the Atlantic Provinces, and which are promoted or marketed to the entire region.
- The value of funding units shall be determined annually based on the funds budgeted and the requests received for funding.
- Local events shall be eligible to receive grants up to the value of the base funding unit.
- Provincial events shall be eligible to receive grants up to two times (2X) the value of the base funding unit.
- Regional events shall be eligible to receive grants up to three times (3X) the value of the base funding unit.