Assistant Deputy Fire Chief
The Town of Oromocto Fire Department is seeking an Assistant Deputy Fire Chief to join the team. Working as an essential part or the Management Team, this position provides leadership and support to the Department including supervising staff in emergency and non-emergency situations, performing standby duties as the Senior On- call Officer and superior ranking officer in their absence, performing senior operational and planning duties, Fire Prevention activities and training of career and volunteer members of the Department.
This dynamic role requires a high level of professionalism, teamwork, trust and leadership capabilities.
- Highschool diplomaorequivalent with supplemental Fire Service Administration/Fire Officer training preferred
- Currentfirefighter certification of theLevel1 and 2- NFPA 1001
- CertifiedFire InstructorLevel1–NFPA 1041
- CertifiedMedical First Responder
- Demonstrated ability toleada teaminemergency and non-emergency situations
- Experience working inaFire Officer role
- Ability to interpretand implement the NBOccupational Health& Safety ActandWorkSafeNB regulations
- Demonstrated timemanagement, problemsolving and decision-making abilities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated conflictresolution skills
- Experience working in unionized environments
- Valid Class 3E Driver’s License
- Proficient inMS Office(Word, Excel and
- Satisfactory criminal record check, vulnerablesector check anddriver’sabstractareconditions ofemployment
Preferred but not required:
- Fire Investigator Fire InspectorFire andLife SafetyEducator Fire Officer Level 1(NFPA
- Additional training inwater andboat rescue, ice, road/remote, confined spaceandhigh angle rescue
- Experience workingin a leadership role ina compositefire department
- Act as incident commander at emergency scenes
- Lead and supervisecareer and volunteer firefightersinemergency and non-emergency situations including coaching, mentoring,and disciplining
- Act asActingDeputyChief or Fire Chief as requiredtofillshort term orunexpectedabsences
- Respond toincidents as aChiefOfficerandestablishor work withinaCommandstructureusingskills acquired through ICS, BlueCard Command and command andemergency responsetraining
- As acommunity andmunicipal leader,engage in and support Town activitiesandpriorities
- Demonstrate continuous effort to improvestreamlinework processes,and work cooperativelyin supportof the Fire staff, Town Oromoctoandthecommunity atlarge
- Assist with orperformfire investigationsto determine fire cause andcircumstances surroundingfiresoccurringwithin the Department’s response areafollowing recognized processes suchas NFPA Liaise agenciesandstakeholders regardingthe investigationprocess recognizingthediffering Documentfindings through written cause and reports,photographs,andsketches
- Issue Fire Marshal Orders to correctdeficiencies found
- Assist with Departmentbudgetactivities including monitoringand preparingbudgets
- Havethe technicaland skills andexperience to Departmentequipmentandapparatus underemergency situations
- Developandimplement trainingactivitiesfor personnel within the Departmentandother staffmembers with the TownofOromoctoas required
- As aLocalAssistanttothe Fire Marshaldevelop andmaintainthe Department’s FirePrevention activities
- Prepare information for submission to the Crown Prosecutor for laying of charges fornon-compliance
- Developandcoordinate a public educationstrategy to enhancefiresafetyawarenessfor residents of varying agesandbusinessownersandstaff
- Participation in committees,projectmeetings,planninggroupstorepresent theDepartmentata managementlevel
This is a permanent full-time position Monday – Friday with hours required outside of the standard work week, emergency callout and a requirement to perform duties as the “On-call Chief Officer” on a rotational basis.
In accordance with Town Policy #4-85 Level 1 - Employees filling Level 1 positions are required to maintain a permanent residence which is not further than five kilometers travelling distance from the Town Limits.
Salary is commensurate with the Salary Administration Policy for Non-Unionized Employees.
Those interested are to send a resume, cover letter and completed Town application (available on the Town website) no later than 4PM on